Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stormy Weather

The view never changes - rain, wind, and dandelions
For a country that seems to enjoy talking about the weather, England doesn't actually get much of it.  Basically, it's either raining, or not raining.  Snow is a rarity, as are thunderstorms, hot, sunny days, and any other kind of extreme weather.  I've found the climate here to be similar to Seattle's in that regard.  When it does rain, it's generally in the form of scattered showers or a light mist, not torrential downpours.  However, the last few weeks have given us plenty to talk about.  Or rather, to complain about...

Our first month in London, April 2011, was the warmest April on record.  It was a glorious string of warm, sunny days with temperatures in the 70's.  As I spent my first few weeks here exploring the city, I found every inch of green space filled with Londoners soaking up the rays.  After a rather chilly, rainy summer, and comically short daylight hours in the winter, I understood why many locals take vitamin D supplements and suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder -- and take every opportunity to go out in the sun.  I was looking forward to another gorgeous April like the one we had last year.  Not even close. 

It has been cold, rainy, and windy for the entire month.  We've already received 165% of the normal rainfall for April, and we still have two more days to go.  Today's forecast: more of the same...
Wet and windy this morning, with rain heavy and persistent at times, possibly leading to some localised flooding. Strong northeasterly winds will ease through the day.   High 55, low 48 (F).
Over the past few weeks, we've had hail, thunder & lightning, heavy rain, and gusty winds.  I'm still wearing my winter coat, and I suspect my umbrella will give up the ghost soon after being inverted by the wind so many times.  At Mah Jongg on Friday I saw a couple AWC friends who had just returned from trips home, and both of them wished aloud that they hadn't come back to London.  Who can blame them?  Josh and I both have mild colds, so we've had very little motivation to leave the house this weekend.  Sure, there are plenty of museums and other indoor attractions to enjoy, but even the half-mile walk to the station seems daunting in this weather.  Do I sound depressed?  I'm not, really.  But I'm having a hard time believing it's almost May -- or that we're still suffering from a drought.

My aunt & uncle are coming to visit in a couple weeks, so I really hope the weather improves by the time they arrive.  In the meantime, maybe we should take advantage of this quality time holed up indoors to plan a trip to someplace warm and sunny...  The Sahara?  Death Valley?  Sounds lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam and other inappropriate messages, all comments are moderated before being posted.