Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cupcake Update

Instead of complaining about our disappointing cupcake-decorating, chocolate-making class on her blog, like I did, my friend Bethie took a more proactive approach and wrote directly to the Peacock Bar.  The result: we are getting a full refund, AND a cocktail-making class, on the house!  You go, girl! 

I've learned that complaining about bad service is a very American thing.  Even though the customer service here often leaves much to be desired, it's very rare for anyone to raise a stink, or even make much more than an apologetic comment, if anything goes awry.  In fact, that's probably why it doesn't get any better -- if nobody complains, why change?  I was discussing this with my neighbor (a Kiwi who has lived in London for 18 years), and she said she would NEVER complain about bad service in a restaurant, for example.  It's just not done.  On the other hand, several Brits I've met who have spent time in the US have mentioned that they were struck by how much better the customer service is there. 

Henceforth, I promise to do my part by being true to my American upbringing and alerting the management of any egregious service lapses.   What's the worst that could happen?  A full refund and a free class?

I have another class -- at a different place -- coming up in a few weeks.  Let's hope that one goes well and there's no cause for complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam and other inappropriate messages, all comments are moderated before being posted.