Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Special Delivery

Yesterday evening I had just returned from running errands when there was a knock at the door.  I opened it to find a delivery man holding a beautiful orchid plant.  Wow!  What a surprise!  I racked my brain -- who would be sending me flowers, and why?  Then he pointed to the card, and asked if he had the correct address.  It was addressed to 'Josh Fitzhugh.'

"Um, yes, that's my husband's name," I told him, feeling somewhat deflated.  We shared an awkward moment, and then I thanked him and he went on his way.
The orchid
Now I was even more baffled.  Why was someone sending Josh flowers?  Maybe it was a belated Christmas gift.  Maybe it was for both of us, but the florist only put his name on the card.  Maybe there was something fishy going on...

Before I drove myself mad, I opened the card and everything suddenly made sense.  They were from Josh's brother, Ben, to commemorate the one-year anniversary of their kidney transplant.  It was especially appropriate that he had sent a living plant to thank Josh for his extremely generous gift of life a year ago.  The transplant was actually on January 5, but we had all been in transit last week after visiting our families for the holidays, so we didn't think to mark the date until after it had passed.

What a sweet and thoughtful gift from Ben.  We've never had orchids before, but we've amassed quite a collection here in London.  It will be a lovely complement to the three orchid plants our landlords left behind and a fourth that we rescued from some Americans down the street who were moving back to the States.  Regardless of what the doctors said about how beautiful Josh's kidney was, I think the flowers are much prettier -- and will look much nicer displayed in our kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam and other inappropriate messages, all comments are moderated before being posted.